Goals and Making a Plan

It has been said that if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. 

Goals are a critical planning tool that also encompasses both concepts of starting with the end in sight and ORDER.

They give you direction on where you are going and should be SMART goals that are written down. 

The End In Sight

Stephen Covey tells us to always start with the end in sight. We certainly do that when taking a road trip. However, we should also do so with our lives. Let's take a look at what role order plays.

I believe that order is critical to humans because all of nature is based on certain rules and principles. This is what distilled order is. Without order, there is randomness and chaos, which makes us uncomfortable, irritable, and restless. On the other hand, having order puts us at ease. I use the metaphor of comparing walking into a room that is a mess versus walking into a 5-star hotel room. You instantly know the difference: the hotel room is clean, quiet, and everything is in its place, i.e., orderly.

"Order in our lives helps us relax, think, and plan creatively. We tend to be more serene and hopeful when there is order rather than chaos."


The Importance of Goals

There have been innumerable studies about the positive impact written goals have on our performance and results. One such study revealed that 3% of Harvard MBAs make ten times as much as the other 97% of MBAs combined. Another benefit of goal setting can be stated as, "The real value in setting goals is not in their achievement; the acquisition of the things you want is strictly secondary. The major reason for setting goals is to compel you to become the person it takes to achieve them." 

Written Goals

It is imperative to write down your goals and visit them regularly. One study showed that those who wrote down their goals and dreams on a regular basis achieved their desires at a significantly higher rate than those who did not. In fact, it was found that you become 42% more likely to achieve your goals and dreams simply by writing them down on a regular basis. 


The likelihood that you'll transform your desires into reality goes up even further if you share your written goals with a coach who understands you and will hold you accountable. One study showed that while 77% of people who committed to a New Year's resolution stuck to it for at least one week, research conducted by the University of Scranton reveals that only 8% of people who make New Year's resolutions will actually fulfill those goals in a timely fashion. In conclusion, it seems that no matter how important your written goals are, willpower alone, in most cases, is not enough to achieve your wishes.

Acheive Goals with the Help of a Life Coach

Having goals and working towards those goals can come with challenges. That is why hiring a life coach is invaluable to you. 

It may be time to consider hiring a life coach when you need help with the following:

  • Setting your goals
  • Keeping score of the key metrics.
  • Holding yourself accountable
  • Inspiring seriousness in your actions and values

Take Action Now!

If you are interested in getting serious about your goals and success, I am confident I can help you achieve your dreams. Reach out to me today so that we can start planning your tomorrow together! 

Ready to get started?

Let's get connected and set up a complimentary meeting to see if we are a good fit.